Saturday, June 03, 2006

T.R.O.Y. (Yo! MTV Raps)

A friend called me late last night and invited me to go out with him (pause) to Metropolis, but I had to finish this DJ Khaled interview I should have had done four days ago. After catching a light case of writer’s block later that evening, I decided to take a short break and free up my thought process, so I turned on the TV to see what entertainment I could find at 2 am. VH1 was showing a pop-culture commentary show – gasp – and all of a sudden, a behind the scenes look at Yo! MTV Raps came on. At that point, it was safe to say that the Khaled would have to wait until Saturday, because the only thing I was in the mood to listennn to was the sound of a nice trip down memory lane.

VH1 Goes Inside: Yo! MTV Raps is an old broadcast, but last night was the first time that I sat and watched the entire show. The documentary featured great commentary and insight from Fab 5 Freddy, Ed Lover and Doctor Dre, but what I really loved was how people behind the scenes chimed in. Producers and cameramen spoke about how they tried to restrain 2Pac from using the show as the “Get Indicted Hour” by admitting that he assaulted the Hughes Brothers. During the episode that Fab 5 Freddy rolled through Compton with N.W.A., the reason the truck never stopped was because everyone was scared as hell. But the best nugget was when Leaders of the New School practically broke-up on air. Charlie Brown was acting awkward as hell and talking shit, which led to Busta and the other members having a group meeting they requested not be filmed. The group officially announced their separation days later.

Then I started thinking, where is the Yo! MTV Raps of this generation? How come I can’t turn on the TV and see a video show that provides a look into an MC’s world that magazines and music can’t give me? What happened to Joe Clair freestyle sessions and funny sit-downs with recording artists? It used to be easy to see videos without having hosts who were ridiculously hyper or excruciatingly lame; it’s damn near impossible to find that now. There are no entertaining segments between videos or on-location interviews. There are only Midtown Manhattan studios and soft, bubble-gum interviews that would make Billy Bush seem like Mike Wallace. The Ed Lover Dance was something corny but endearing; shows today are just plain corny. Forgive me for temporarily being another “I miss the mid-90's” whiney bastard, but it's true. The music video shows today are just plain terrible. Shit, they’re practically not even music video shows because in the hour-and-a-half that they broadcast, there are only 20 30 minutes of actually videos shown.

If you’re over the age of 20, I’m preaching to the choir, but the video shows on today just plain suck. My childhood and enculturation into hip-hop just wouldn’t have been the same without Rap City or Yo! MTV Raps. They were entertaining when I strolled across them and a godsend when the elders wouldn’t let my cousins, brothers, and me outside. The only thing kids these days have are 106th and Park and the shell that once was Rap City. It’s a sad state of affairs, but instead of continuing with this depressing comparison of times, I’m going to play the bitter old-man role and get nostalgic. I want all of my former youngbucks to grab a bottle of cognac and reminisce with me.


Final Episode of Yo! MTV Raps Cipher
Featuring: Rakim, KRS-One, Eric Sermon, Chubb Rock, MC Serch


Final Episode of Yo! MTV Raps Cipher Pt. II
Redman, Method Man, Large Professor, Special Ed, Craig Mack


Bonus: Doctor Dre and Ed Lover – “Back Up Off Me”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home